Atlantic City woman held in fatal stabbing of boyfriend

An Atlantic City woman accused of killing her boyfriend denied any involvement to police and tried to blame someone else, according to the prosecution.
Khaleeia Bass, 34, was ordered held Tuesday, as the result of a detention hearing.
She is accused of fatally stabbing her boyfriend, 37-year-old Kenneth Fenwick Jr., with a kitchen knife inside her father’s Absecon home.

 BreakingAC - Ethical Reporting - Reporter
Khaleeia Bass wipes tears during her detention hearing.

But the charge of murder isn’t fitting, defense attorney Sarah Weinstock told the judge. Instead, it fits more with a charge of aggravated manslaughter or second-degree reckless, she told Judge Bernard DeLury.
Weinstock did not indicate a reason for the lesser charges.
Bass entered the courtroom and walked straight toward the area where family members were seated to support her, and started to cry. She turned around again to face them several times during the hearing, despite numerous warnings from a sheriff’s officer.
Police were called to Clayton Way, an apartment complex across from Holy Spirit High School, at abotu 8:30 p.m. Nov. 1, for a stabbing.
When they arrived, Fenwick was suffering from a stab wound directly above his heart, and Bass had blood on her clothing, Assistant Prosecutor Rick McKelvey said.
Bass attempted to tend to the wound, which would explain the blood, Weinstock said as her client nodded in agreement.
The defendant “made contradictory statements regarding her involvement to neighbors,” McKelvey said.
Bass also gave up her Miranda rights, telling detectives that she had nothing to do with the stabbing, and attempting to blame someone else, McKelvey said.
He did not indicate who she tried to blame, but said the only other person in the apartment at the time was her father.
Bass’ father gave a statement to police denying involvement, McKelvey said. He also didn’t have any blood on him as his daughter did.
A large kitchen knife with a 7-inch blade was found in the vicinity.
Surveillance video shows Bass was in the building at the time, and body camera footage cooberates neighbors’ statements, McKelvey said.
Bass has an “extensive” criminal history involving several charges of obstruction and giving false statements, according to information released at the hearing.
She does not have a violent history.
The public safety assessment — which is used to determined whether a defendant should be held — were at the highest possible with a 6 for failure to appear and a 6 for likelihood to commit a new crime.
Several of the victim’s loved ones attended the hearing, but did not comment about the case.
Bass appeared surprised when the judge ordered her held.
As she was led out, she yelled to family members that she loved them and that, “I’ll keep my head up, baby,” then tripped as she walked out the door.
No other hearings have yet been scheduled.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on email