A rooming house fire displaced 17 people New Year’s Eve.
The call came in around 6:30 p.m., and the fire was contained to a third-floor unit at 1401 Memorial Avenue, Fire Chief Scott Evans said.
“It was a great job by the first-in engine company,” he said.
Acting Capt. Paul Hess and his crew stretched a hose down the alley and up three flights of stairs to contain it to the third-floor bedroom, Evans said.
But smoke and water damage will cause more to be evacuated.
They will be relocated with help from the owner and the Red Cross, Evans said.